To make 2018 a little more interesting for all avid readers of lesbian fiction, I got together with a bunch of fellow lesbian book addicts and came up with a fun reading challenge: Lesbian Book Bingo!
How does Lesbian Book Bingo work?
- Download this cool Lesbian Book Bingo card (letter size or A4).
- Throughout the year, fill in your bingo card with the titles and authors of lesbian books you have read in 2018. You can either type in the PDF or print it out and write by hand.
- Each square of the bingo card represents a certain subgenre or theme. For example, if you started the year by (re-)reading Backwards to Oregon, you would write “Backwards to Oregon by Jae” into the “historical fiction” square.
- I will post suggested reading lists for each square here on my blog twice a month, so by the end of the year, we’ll have 24 lists covering all squares of the bingo card. Of course, you can also pick any other lesbian book that fits the category. For more suggestions, take a look at these lists of books from Ylva Publishing and Riptide Publishing.
- If you’re not sure about what some of the squares mean, take a look at the FAQs.
- For the “free choice” square in the middle of the bingo card, you can read any lesbian book of your choice.
- You win by completing a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal line on the bingo card, which means reading at least five books.
- While you can read the books in any order you want, you might want to wait for the lists of suggested books I’ll provide on my blog twice a month so you don’t miss out on some excellent books. Here’s a master list of categories for all bingo squares with a schedule of when each list will be posted.
What books can you pick for Lesbian Book Bingo?
The only conditions are:
- It needs to be a book you read (or re-read) in 2018.
- It needs to be a book with at least one main character who is a woman who loves women.
- You can read a book of your own choosing that matches one of the squares or pick one from the suggested reading list for each square.
- It doesn’t necessarily have to be a novel. Novellas (usually around 17,500-40,000 words) count too, as do anthologies and short story collections.
- You can either read a book (paperback or e-book) or listen to it (audiobook). Any format counts!
- Each book may be used only once per card. So if you read a romantic suspense novel about a detective who falls in love with her new partner, you have to decide if you want to put it down in the “romantic suspense” square or in the “workplace romance” square, but you can’t use it for both squares.
What can you win and how?
You can win some great ebooks by participating in Lesbian Book Bingo as well as several paperbacks and audio books. More than 250 authors and almost 50 publishers such as Bold Strokes Books, Bella Books, Ylva Publishing, Bedazzled Ink, Riptide Publishing, Desert Palm Press, Intaglio Publications, Regal Crest, Dirt Road Books, Affinity eBook Press, Bywater Books, and many others are participating.
There are three ways to win at Lesbian Book Bingo:
- Twice a month, you can win an e-book by checking in when I post the recommended reading lists. All you have to do is to leave a comment on this blog, letting us know what book you are reading for this square or suggest another book that fits the category, and you’ll be entered in the drawing.
- If you complete a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal line of the bingo card, you’ll win an e-book from one of the 250 great authors of lesbian fiction participating in Lesbian Book Bingo. You don’t even need to be the first person to complete a line to win. Send me an e-mail with the PDF or a photo of your filled-out bingo card attached, and you’ll get an e-book in the format of your choice. Each reader can win only one e-book, even if you complete several rows, columns, or diagonals—unless you complete all 25 squares. The deadline is December 31, 2018.
- If you complete all 25 squares and e-mail me your filled-out bingo card, you’ll be entered in the drawing for the grand prize. There’ll be three winners. The first one wins 25 e-books and a fun surprise package from Germany, and the other two win 25 e-books.
Don’t miss any of the Lesbian Book Bingo posts!
The recommended reading lists for each square will be posted on the first and third Thursday of each month, starting on Thursday, January 4. Winners of the “leave a comment” giveaway will be announced one week later, on the second and fourth Thursday of each month.
If you’d like to get all Lesbian Book Bingo posts sent to your in-box, subscribe to my blog.
Join us for the Lesbian Book Bingo, read great lesbian books all year, discover new novels and authors, and win fantastic prizes!
Happy New Year!