I had decided early on to include a puzzle featuring nonbinary and trans characters in the Crossword Challenge, but with trans people still being killed for who they are and celebrities such as JK Rowling making transphobic statements, it feels more timely than ever to feature books with trans representation.
By the way, if you feel that JK Rowling’s statements aren’t anti-trans, take a look at this Twitter thread that explains why they are.
This week’s puzzle includes more than twice as many books as the previous puzzles because I wanted to feature books with nonbinary characters, trans women, and trans men.
Trans is often used as an umbrella term that includes people who are transgender, nonbinary, agender, bigender, genderfluid, genderqueer, etc.—so basically, anyone who isn’t cis. Not all nonbinary people identify as transgender, though.
Trans or transgender also refers to people whose binary gender identity doesn’t match the sex they were assigned at birth.
Nonbinary refers to gender identities that fall outside of the gender binary. Nonbinary people—sometimes called Enby (from NB)—don’t or only partially identify with the male/female categories or the experience of gender as a binary.
Nonbinary is an umbrella term too, which includes different gender identities such as agender (having no gender), bigender (having two gender identities, either at the same or at different times), genderfluid (having different gender identities at different times), and demigirl (only partially identify with being female).
So, here’s the crossword puzzle featuring Books with Nonbinary & Trans Characters:
If this is the first time you are solving one of my book-themed crossword puzzles, take a look at the rules.
You can either download the crossword grid by right-clicking on the picture below or download the PDF with the crossword grid and the clues. You don’t necessarily need a printer to play. You don’t need to send in the filled-out puzzle; all you need to do is email me the solution phrase.
Here are the clues for the Books with Nonbinary & Trans Characters puzzle:
- The Queen of Cups by Ren Basel (asexual nonbinary character): What is the name of Theo’s queerplatonic partner?
- In the Silences by Rachel Gold (YA novel about a nonbinary character): What’s the name of Kaz’s dog?
- The Black Tides of Heaven by JY Yang (fantasy world in which children grow up nonbinary): What’s the name of the head abbot?
- An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon (black nonbinary character): What do the T-deckers call their improvised lanterns?
- Dragon Pearl by Yoon Ha Lee (nonbinary protagonist): What is the power to manipulate emotions and make people see things called?
- Baker Thief by Claudie Arseneault (aromantic bigender character): What’s the name of Claire’s twin sister?
- Felix Ever After by Kacen Callendar (black demiboy protagonist): During what month does the book’s opening chapter take place?
- Christmas Inn Maine by Chelsea Cameron (nonbinary/demigirl character): What kind of animal is the family pet at The Sterling Inn?
- No More Heroes by Michelle Kan (aroace genderfluid character): What’s the name/alias of the Vigilante Clare, Linus, and Mallory meet?
- The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea by Maggie Tokuda-Hall (black genderfluid main character): What’s the name of the capital of the Nipran Empire?
- Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin (genderfluid character): What’s the name of the high school Riley goes to?
- Dithered Hearts by Chace Verity (nonbinary character): What is Cynthia wearing at the ball?
- Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller (genderfluid character): What item does Sol allow the noblewoman they rob to keep?
- The Seep by Chana Porter (butch trans woman): What food item is Trina’s contribution to the dinner party?
- Tengoku by Rae D. Magdon (protagonist is a trans woman): Which magical sea must Imari cross on her quest to replace her missing hand?
- Cinder Ella by S.T. Lynn (black trans woman): What is the name of Ella’s dog?
- Being Emily by Rachel Gold (protagonist is a trans woman): What color is Emily’s car?
- Pet by Akwaeke Emezi (protagonist is a black trans girl): What’s the name of Jam’s mother?
- Hold Me by Courtney Milan (protagonist is a trans woman): What color are the heels Maria is wearing?
- Knowing Her by Raquel De Leon (main character is a lesbian trans woman): What’s the name of Teresa’s cat?
- Dreadnought by April Daniels (protagonist is a trans woman): What’s the name of the villain who killed Dreadnought?
- Nevada by Imogen Binnie (protagonist is a trans woman): Where does Maria work?
- The Weight of Living by M.A. Hinkle (trans woman character): Where do Trisha and Gabi meet?
- A Safe Girl to Love by Casey Plett (the protagonists are trans women): What color is the hair of Sophie’s friend Megan?
- Reverb by Anna Zabo (one of the main characters is a trans man): What’s the name of Mish’s band?
- The Truth Is by NoNieqa Ramos (trans boy character): What did Blanca used to call Verdad’s hair?
- When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore (trans boy character): What’s the name of the neighbor who’s like a mother, an aunt, or a sister to Miel?
- Transpire Together by Mercy Zephyr (one of the main characters is a trans man, and there’s also a nonbinary supporting character): What does Lynn’s friend Izzy use to indicate her gender identity?
- The Craft of Love by E.E. Ottoman (protagonist is a trans man): In what profession does Benjamin work?
- Stay Gold by Tobly McSmith (one of the main characters is a trans man): What is Georgia supposed to be wearing with her cheerleading outfit?
- The Queer and the Restless by Kris Ripper (one of the main characters is a trans man): What acronym does Caspar put into every email he sends?
- Caroline’s Heart by Austin Chant (the main characters are a trans man and a trans woman): What color are Cecily’s eyes?
Check back for hints
If you are struggling to solve the puzzle, check back this weekend. I’ll invite the authors to post hints in the comments section of this blog that will help you solve the puzzle. Some authors will also drop by my Facebook Reader Group to give you some hints.
Send me the solution to be entered into the drawing for the Books with Nonbinary & Trans Characters puzzle
Once you solved the “nonbinary & trans characters” puzzle, send me the solution phrase, and you’ll be entered into the drawing for an ebook copy of:
- Tengoku by Rae D. Magdon
- The Weight of Living by M.A. Hinkle
- In the Silences by Rachel Gold
To be entered into the drawing, send me the solution by July 18, 10 a.m. CET. I’ll draw the winners using a random numbers generator.
You’ll find my email address on my contact page.
You can still solve previous puzzles & win ebooks!
If you haven’t solved all the previous puzzles yet, you can still do so! For every solution you send in, you get an entry into the drawing for the grand prize.
Subscribe to this blog to get future F/F Fiction Crossword Challenge posts
If you’d like to get all future Crossword Challenge posts sent to your in-box, subscribe to my blog.
Happy reading and crossword-puzzling!
3 thoughts on “Books with Nonbinary & Trans Characters (Crossword Challenge #18)”
What a great list of books… I have downloaded samples of many of these to check out. Nice to have a selection of diverse options within the romance genre. Thanks!
I extended the puzzle to include a more diverse cast of characters from authors of color. If you have already solved the previously posted puzzle, feel free to send it in (the solution phrase is the same in both versions), but make sure to check out the revised puzzle because there are some great books in there!
Here are some hints for folks from my books:
#2 Kaz’s dog goes by the same nickname as the X-Men’s Wolverine.
#17 Emily’s car is described on page 14 (in the print edition ) near the bottom
Enjoy the puzzle and best of luck with the ebook giveaway!