Hard to believe that the year 2015 is practically over already. Since I managed to catch the cold from hell from one of my nieces over Christmas, I’m not spending New Year’s Eve the way I had planned, but I still wanted to take a moment to reflect on the past twelve months and to look ahead at 2016.
I just took a look at the goals for 2015 I posted on the Ylva Publishing blog a year ago. In that blog post, I said:
For 2015, I hope everything will continue to go as smoothly as it did in 2014. I plan on writing two new novels, revising and republishing my romantic suspense novel Next of Kin, and translating two of my novels into German.
Well, it seems I met and surpassed those goals.
I wrote and published Damage Control (April 2015) and Just Physical (November 2015), brought out a new and improved version of Next of Kin (June 2015), and published not two but three novels in German—Auf schmalem Grat (February 2015), Zum Anbeißen (April 2015), and Rosen für die Staatsanwältin (October 2015). Then there’s Good Enough to Eat, my first co-authored novel, which was written in 2014 but published at the beginning of 2015.
I also wrote and published four short stories: “The Snow Liger” (February 2015), “Dress-tease” (May 2015), “Coitus Interruptus Dentalis” (May 2015), and “Change of Pace” (August 2015).
In 2015, I also published my first two nonfiction books, under my “superhero name,” as one of our editors refers to it. Goal Setting for Writers came out in March and Time Management for Writers in December 2015.
But 2015 wasn’t just about working and writing. I also got to do a fair bit of traveling—five days in Hamburg, exploring the city and the emigration museum in Bremerhaven, a few days at the book fair in Frankfurt, where I met fellow Ylva author G Benson, and three weeks in New Orleans, where this year’s GCLS conference was held. During the con, I had the chance to participate in my very first panel. The subject was hopeful-ever-after endings in lesbian fiction—which was a perfect fit for my new novel Just Physical.
So, all in all, I consider it a pretty good year.
What’s ahead for 2016?
Here are my goals for the upcoming year:
- Write and publish two English novels, Shaken to the Core (historical romance) and one that is tentatively titled Connected (contemporary romance)
- Translate and publish two German novels, Im Scheinwerferlicht (translation of Damage Control) and Affäre bis Drehschluss (translation of Just Physical)
- Write and publish one nonfiction book for writers, Writing a Series.
- Write a novella and/or a couple of short stories
- Attend the GCLS conference, which will be in the Washington D.C./Alexandria area in July 2016
- Attend the lesbian book vacation on Lesbos in June 2016
- Find more time to read in 2016
Happy new year, everyone! I hope you’ll achieve all your goals.
Please leave a comment and tell us about your goals for 2016.