This week’s F/F crossword puzzle features a really important topic: body positivity in romance novels.
The romance novel industry is especially guilty of abiding by Hollywood’s standard of beauty. It’s rare to find plus-size characters in f/f romance novels (or any romance, for that matter). Most of the main characters are portrayed as slender, with perfectly sized breasts, and if they are a bit chubby, their goal in the story is probably to lose weight.
I hope that going forward, there’ll be more body positivity in romance novels and that women of all shapes and sizes will find themselves represented in a positive way.
P.S. Most of the romance novels in this puzzle feature chubby or plus-sized main characters, but, of course, body positivity includes women who are considered skinny or flat-chested or otherwise deviate from society’s beauty standards.
So, here’s the “WLW & lesbian body-positive romances” puzzle:
You can either download the crossword grid by right-clicking on the picture below or download the PDF with the crossword grid and the clues. You don’t necessarily need a printer to play. You don’t need to send in the filled-out puzzle; all you need to do is email me the solution phrase.
Here are the clues for the “WLW & lesbian body-positive romances” puzzle:
- Wrong Number, Right Woman by Jae: What nickname does Denny give Eliza in Jae’s newly published romance?
- A Roll in the Hay by Lola Keeley: What is the name of Tess’s dog?
- Speak Low by Lynn Galli: What subject does Celia teach at her university?
- Just My Luck by Andrea Bramhall: What’s the name of Abi Kitson’s daughter?
- The Last Place You Look by Aurora Rey: Taylor reluctantly agrees to be Julia’s what?
- Hooked On You by Jenn Matthews: What kind of class does Ollie run?
- The Summer of Jordi Perez by Amy Spalding: What’s the name of the boutique where Abby lands an internship for the summer?
- Everything Between Us by Harper Bliss: Which Germaine does Declan compare Caitlin to?
- Juliet Takes a Breath by Gabby Rivera: Which city does Juliet move to?
- A Curious Woman by Jess Lea: What type of pets does the protagonist have?
- Mind Games by Cara Malone: Who’s the resident prankster of the coroner’s office?
- The Shape of You by Georgia Beers: What does Spencer lose in chapter one?
- At Her Feet by Rebecca Weatherspoon: What’s the name of the website where Suzanne meets Mami-P?
- The Curvy Side of Life by Suzie Carr: What’s the name of Faith’s daughter?
- Menage a Trois by Cynthia Dane & Hildred Billings: What is Caitlyn’s former occupation?
- Riding the Track by Kara Ripley: What is the name of the horse that Clara rides across South Australia?
- Blueprint for Romance by Shannon M Harris: What’s the name of Kat’s pet ferret?
- Just for Show by Jae: What does Lana have tattooed on her arm?
- Set-up by Adan Ramie: What did Rachel steal on pep rally day in high school?
Check back for hints
If you are struggling to solve the puzzle, check back this weekend. I’ll invite the authors to post hints in the comments section of this blog that will help you solve the puzzle. Some authors will also drop by my Facebook Reader Group to give you some hints.
Send me the solution to be entered into the drawing for the “WLW & lesbian body-positive romances” puzzle
Once you solved the “WLW & lesbian body-positive romances” puzzle, send me the solution phrase, and you’ll be entered into the drawing for an ebook copy of:
To be entered into the drawing, send me the solution by October 3, 10 a.m. CET. I’ll draw the winners using a random numbers generator.
You’ll also be entered into the drawing for the grand prize at the end of the year, with a chance to win a book package, plus an autograph book full of autographs of popular WLW & lesbian fiction authors.
You’ll find my email address on my contact page.
Happy reading and crossword-puzzling!