Pace — speeding up
When to speed up the pace:
You should pick up the pace during action scenes and scenes of high tension or high emotion.
Techniques for speeding up the pace:
- Shorter chapters
- Shorter scenes
- Shorter paragraphs
- Shorter sentences
- Use a few sentence fragments.
- Delete unnecessary phrases and words, including adverbs and adjectives.
- No long introspections. Keep character thoughts short.
- No long descriptions of setting or characters
- Use strong, sharp verbs that sound hard or imply speed, e.g., crashed, whirled.
- Snappy dialogue
- End scenes and chapters with cliffhangers, at a moment of high tension.